Sunday, November 30, 2008

Advent

Today marks the first Sunday of Advent. We follow the tradition of Advent in our home. My parents celebrated it with me and my sibling since we were really small. I appreciate it so much more as an adult. In this day and age of Christmas being such a commercialized holiday, Advent is a beautiful celebration that redirects our attention on the meaning behind Christmas.

While searching online, I found a site called Following the Star. It is an online devotional for Advent. Each day's reading includes 5 parts:

  1. Presence of God
  2. The Word of God
  3. Devotion
  4. Conversation with God
  5. Benediction

Each section is really small so a huge amount of time does not need to be invested in it. I am going to try to follow this every day of Advent. It is not age-appropriate for my small children but for me, it will be a time of redirecting my focus so I don't get caught up in the hustle and bustle of December. (Yikes, I can't believe December starts tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment