Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Art with Pattern Blocks

I had to work this morning and my mom came over and watched the kids for me. I had a couple of errands to run and she was willing to spend a little more time with the grand kids so that I could get a few things done after work. One thing I had to do was stop at a store. This store happens to be right next to the thrift store, so she suggested that I stop in there. (She knows how difficult it is to peruse the thrift store with kids along.)

I bought nothing but things for the kids. I got some brand new teacher's supplies. One of the things I got was a set of wooden pattern blocks. We did a few matching activities and shape activities with them. However, my 4 year old LOVED building with them.

Here is a picture of my favorite. It's called me and my brother in the forest...

This one is a funny person...

What is the triangle in the center of his body, I ask. A bellybutton, of course! I am so proud of her. She did these completely on her own. I love how she worked so diligently on them turning each shape until it created a picture.

As we were working with the pattern blocks, we talked a lot about the shapes. For the life of me, I could not remember the name of the red one that looks like a triangle with it's top cut off. My hubby figured out what it was... a trapezoid! Yep, I remember now. Geometry was a LONG time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment