Sunday, September 21, 2008

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

Once upon a time, way back in high school, I knew how to make a button using a button maker. Some friends and I tried our hands at being entrepreneurs and made buttons to sell. We made a variety of "Support our Troops" and "God Bless America" buttons. It was our little way of taking our minds off the Gulf War. (I remember fearing that the draft would be reinstated and all of my male friends and family would be gone.) We sold those buttons to all our friends and family and we even spent our weekends sitting in the grocery store entrance trying to sell our our patriotic buttons. We made a few bucks but not too many. We probably gave away as many buttons as we actually sold.

I haven't thought about that entrepreneurial adventure in years, but the memories came rushing back to me today. I found myself once again making buttons. A friend of mine recently had surgery and was struggling to get ready for the start of the school year while balancing pain management and three small children. I offered to help and this was my assignment... making button name tags for her students and parent volunteers. Her button machine is much different that the one that I used 17 years ago. So, today I learned how to use a fancy modern button making machine. I made 40 buttons... 38 for her classes and 2 for my kiddos.

My daughter was fascinated with this whole process. The two that were for my kiddos were made and designed by her. I told her that she could make one for her and her brother. She worked diligently designing them and picking colors. At the last minute, she decided that if she could only make two, she would make one for her brother and one for her daddy. Here's the button for Daddy...

I ask her,"Who did you draw in your picture?"

"That's me and Daddy on a date," She answers emphatically and my heart melts into a pool of mush!

Daddy was proud too. He showed his pride by mowing the lawn proudly wearing his bright pink button honoring his special dates with his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment