Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Fair Lady

I LOVE the fair. I've been going my whole life. I've tried my hand at different skills by entering all sorts of categories. From Collectibles to the Demolition Derby, I've tried out so many of the competitions. For about a decade, I have worked as a Superintendent at the fair overseeing the Agricultural Education activities. I love that my job allows me to be a part of a tradition that I enjoyed as a child and that my parents and grandparents participated in as well. Every year, I look forward to seeing all of the animals, watching the competitions, and eating the fair food. The latter may have been my downfall yesterday and definitely was my lesson to learn for today.

Well, let's just say that I'm not feeling so fair today. Last night I got some sort of stomach sickness on the way home from the fair. I hadn't been feeling so well all day but then I went ahead and got myself a big helping of cheese fries. I just love those fries smothered in cheese! Then, because tradition dictates it, my mom and I finished off the night watching the beauty pageant and ending with an elephant ear split between the two of us. It's kinda funny that that's our tradition. We watch girls strut across the stage without an ounce of fat on their body while we indulge in a deep fried dessert covered in cinnamon and sugar. Ironic, huh?

I learned on the way home from the fair... and when I arrived home... and all through the night... and all day today... that if you're stomach isn't feeling so good then don't put fried fair food in it. Particularly food smothered in either artificial cheese or buckets of sugar!

I'll be back at the fair tomorrow. I'll be surrounded by all the scents from all the food vendors. I wonder if I have truly learned my lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment