Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Writing with Rocks

There aren't many beach days left of this summer, so we took the opportunity this evening to bring our dinner down to the beach. It's sad knowing that this may be our last time swimming at the beach for the season.

I found this rock along the shore and showed it to my daughter. We used it to write on a nearby boulder. She was fascinated by the fact that she could write with the rock. She had so much fun writing each of our names across the boulder.

I used to do the same thing as a kid on this same beach.

Somedays, I wish I lived far away in some exotic location perhaps with mountains or waterfalls or valleys. Sometimes, I long for new experiences. Then, a simple rock can remind me of how much I love the familiarity of my little life. Watching my children learn and explore in many of the same ways that I did when I was a child, reminded me of that. Yes, I'd love to travel the world but for right now, I'm learning to embrace the familiar and look at it through the eyes of my children. Because for them, what is old and boring to me is new and exciting through their eager eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment