Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Bruised Pride

I really didn't learn much today and even if I did, I really don't feel much like trying to figure out what was learned. I'm kinda in a funk. I learned today that having your pride bruised is not fun. Sometimes you hear things that you don't particularly want to hear or you learn things that you would have rather not learned. Today is one of those days. It was a day where I thought that what I was doing was pretty darn good only to have it publicly ridiculed. That's a lesson that hurts.

So that I could learn from the experience, I looked through some quotes until I found a couple that were applicable. I thought that perhaps they would teach me a thing or two or at least help me put things into perspective.

"Pride would be a lot easier to swallow if it didn't taste so bad." -- Brad Moore

Ya, I don't know who Brad Moore is. But that's a darn good quote. It currently tastes real bad. Perhaps if I learn how bad pride tastes, it will encourage me to rid my life of it. Hmmm, a life with less negative pride...that would be a good lesson to learn.

Here's another quote from C.S. Lewis, one of my favorite authors. He was talking of pride when he said, "There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others."

OK, so I know that pride makes you unpopular. That's no big surprise. But I never thought about how unconscious of it I am in my own life. I was completely unaware that I had pride regarding this particular situation today until the negative comments started flying. My hurt feelings revealed the pride that I unconsciously had regarding the situation. Perhaps the lesson here is that I need to be more aware of pride in my life. If I remain unaware, how am I to rid my life of it? Perhaps constant reflection and humility are areas that I need to strive for.

Yup, today my pride is bruised...perhaps some chocolate will make it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment