Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

Mmmm...Corned beef and cabbage, steamed potatoes, and Irish Soda bread. I love St. Patrick's Day! The smells, the tastes, the music, the colors...I love all of it.

Today was a fun day. We did all things St. Patrick's day today. We wore green and did green crafts...mainly the messy kind with lots of green paint on the fingers. We had to be on the road much of the day, so we played a game of finding all the green things along our route. I didn't realize there was so much green out there. It doesn't make up for the lack of natural green though...c'mon Spring, hurry up! On our little green scavenger hunt, I learned that the fire hydrants in the town where Daddy works are green and yellow. I've driven by them a million times and never noticed that! Isn't it amazing how we don't notice things if our eyes are not looking for them. We counted over a dozen green and yellow fire hydrants that I had never seen before!

This inspired me to find green things here at home too. I took my camera while the kids were napping and shot quick photos of all things green. It was pretty fun to look for colors instead of subjects for the photos. I learned that I have a lot more green in my house than I would have guessed. Now I want to try to learn how to do a photo collage to add to the blog. Hopefully I will figure that out in the next few days and be able to post it.

I also learned about steamed potatoes. My husband did the grocery shopping for the St. Paddy's Day dinner. He bought potatoes that came in a bag that you use to steam them in the microwave. I usually cook the corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes all in the same pot. When I saw what he had bought, I figured I'd give it a try. I was a little leery. However, the potatoes tasted just fine and they didn't taste like corned beef this way.

In other news, I learned that the baby loves corned beef! He gobbled it right up! He is definitely not turning out to be a Gerber baby. He still hates baby food but loves table food. I think he enjoyed his first St. Patrick's Day!

By the way, I didn't make the soda bread. It was bought from the bakery. Maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment