Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year...New Things to Learn

So, 2008 is here! Resolutions are on every one's mind. They are on mine as well. What should I resolve to do this year? I could lose that weight that I put on with my second child. I could exercise more...scratch that, I could exercise, period! I could, I could, I could...

As I have thought about what I would like to change in 2008, I reflected on where my life is at right now. I am very happy with my life. I am a stay-at-home mom to two wonderful children. I am married to a wonderful man. I have a solid Faith that directs my life. So, what can I resolve for 2008? During the past 3 1/2 years, my life has changed a lot. Being a parent has changed my life dramatically. Most of the changes are the greatest things that have ever happened to me. I can't believe how I have grown as a person through watching my children's lives unfold before my eyes! I am so blessed to be a part of their journey! They bring such joy to my life.

But, I asked myself, what do I miss from my life before children? I miss the spontaneous dates with my husband without having to find a babysitter first. I miss sleeping uninterrupted through the night. I miss grocery shopping by myself. Yes, I miss those things but I wouldn't trade spontaneous dates for giggling and playing together as a family of four. Watching my husband interact with our children with such love is better than any date could ever be. I wouldn't trade my sleep for cuddling with my baby boy for his middle of the night feedings or cuddling with my daughter because something scared her in the night. Ah, and grocery shopping by myself, remind me of that in 20 years when the kids are out of the house. Hopefully then I'll be missing the days of longer grocery trips.

BUT, there is one thing that I really miss. I have spent the majority of my life in learning institutions. There was grade school and high school, then college, and after a break, graduate school. Then, while I was working, there were the inservices and seminars. Before children, I was able to pick up a book to learn something. Not so easy nowadays. While I don't miss the daily grind of going to school, I do miss the feeling of accomplishment of intentionally learning something new. I think that being a stay-at-home mom has taught me so much more than those other institutions ever could. The things that I learn are not in a textbook. They are not intentional. They are, for the most part, accidental learning experiences of daily life. So, I would like to document my learning. In learning institutions, learning is document all the time...note taking, quizzes, reports, TESTS!!! So, no tests for me. Just a little blog to write down what I learn and when I feel like daily life is leaving me a little brain dead, I'll check back here and see that I really am making progress.

As a teacher, I always told my kids to learn something new every day. So in 2008, I resolve to learn something new every day. This blog will be the story of my journey.

So, it's day 1 and what did I learn? I learned how to start a blog! Hurray for me!!!

1 comment: