Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Topstitching

Today I learned how to top stitch. Last week when my daughter was playing with her little friends who came for a visit, they decided to have a picnic. One of them saw my red and white checkered towel hanging in the kitchen and thought that it would make a great picnic blanket. All three little ones squeezed onto that one dish towel for their little picnic. I decided that we needed a play picnic blanket. I picked up some checkered fabric and sew two pieces together inside out. Even after ironing, the edges were still pretty poofy and the square of fabric kept losing it's shape. My mother-in-law suggested that I top stitch the edges and it worked beautifully. It now holds its shape and lays fairly flat. This afternoon, a wonderful pretend picnic was had! Now I plan to use the scraps to make napkins to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment