Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Women's Republican Organization

Tonight our State Representative asked if I would be willing to help with a new venture. I learned that there are some local women who are interested in starting a county-wide Republican women's organization. I think that this is a fabulous idea! I am normally not an advocate of having a special organization for women. I think that it is generally not necessary. I think that all too often it is disgruntled women who want to show the men that they can do it better. I firmly believe that if women are disgruntled, they need to get involved and be a part of making things better. I am involved in politics. I do so not to prove myself as a female. I do so because in America I can. There are no limits to what I can do as a woman. For Pete's sake, we have a woman running for president...it's about time! I do so because I want to see change. I don't want to sit back and let others decide my future. I want to be a part of those decisions.

So, then, why do I think that a county-wide Republican woman's organization is a good idea? Simply put...to dispel the myth of who Republicans are. Tonight I sat at a meeting as the only female elected to a county-wide executive committee. I sat there in a room full of middle aged, white men. They myth is that if you are anything other than that, you must be a democrat. A county-wide women organization would be a place to raise awareness in our community that you don't have to be a middle-aged, white, male to be a Republican. I am tired of people being shocked that I am a Republican. Simply because I am young and female doesn't mean that I have to be liberal. Simply because I was a member of a union doesn't mean that I can't support the non-union candidate. It is time that people stop making assumptions. Perhaps this organization could help.

I'm not sure what part, if any, I will have in this. However, I hope that it actually function in a useful way. In my head, it seems like a good idea. I hope that it's not a disappointment as much of politics is.

No comments:

Post a Comment