Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ticker Tape and Wooden Needles


I picked up some Moda Dea Ticker Tape yarn at the fabric store closing sale that I hit last week. I had looked at the yarn many times before and I was fascinated by it but I never had the guts to try it. It is fairly expensive for a small ball of yarn and I had no idea what it could be used for. But find it for less than a dollar a ball made it worth trying.

It's hard to describe the ticker tape. It's yarn but it looks a lot like ribbon with a little stretch to it. It comes in beautiful colors. Here's what the ball looks like...

Since I was trying to learn something new, I figured that I would try using wooden needles. I have an old pair that was my grandmother's. Since I had never used wooden ones, I thought I would give it a try.
I liked using them. They felt nice in my hands...a warmer and more natural feeling. However, I had a little trouble with the yarn catching on them and not sliding as well as I would like it to. I don't know if that's due to using wooden needles, using ticker tape yarn or the fact that the needles are pretty old. Ah well, I'm enjoying it none the less!
Here's what the stitches look like with straight knitting...
I only started knitting to see how the yarn looked and to try the wooden needles. So I cast on 10 stitches and I was only going to stitch a few inches and then rip it all out. But, I like how it looks. It is the perfect width and color for a scarf or belt. So, now I have over a foot knitted and I'll post pictures when it is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment