Friday, May 9, 2008

Seed Paper

Today I learned how to alter something that I already knew how to do. I've been making paper for years. It's a way to recycle old paper and make something new out of it. It's a bit messy and pretty time consuming but well worth it in the end. So, what alteration did I learn?


Well, my mother-in-law was looking for a gift to give her fellow bookclub ladies at their last meeting next week. She wanted to give a gift that was spring related but wanted to give more than just a seed packet. She came across an idea online that caught her attention...making paper with seeds impedded in it. The paper can then be planted and the seeds will bloom into flowers. Since she knew that I occasionally make paper, she asked if I was up for trying it with her. I thought it was a fantastic idea and we tried it today. They turned out pretty well, see...


And here's a closeup of one of the sheets of paper (we also added flower petals to give it some color)...

2 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. I'd love to know whether the petals fade over time and whether the seeds really grow if you plant them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool idea.
    Maybe it would be good for a teacher gift...or at least the card portion?

    Truly, how long did it take to make? How hard is it?

    ReplyDelete