Friday, April 25, 2008

Repurposed Dress

I've had this dress around for a long time. I picked it up at a sale a long time ago. I love the look of it and I really like the structure of the sleeves. However, it's former owner ripped the armpits out and to repair them would make it too small for me. So, I only wear it around the house because it's very comfy even with armpit holes.


Then, I had kids and my chest size changed and now it no longer fits me. So, it has sat in my closet for almost 3 years waiting for my chest to shrink back to "normal" or for me to think of something to re purpose it as. Today, I made it into a skirt. I cut off the sleeves, shoulder and neck. Then, I sewed in an elastic waistband inserted in a casing. I didn't even know what a casing was until yesterday. My dad, a former dry cleaner, helped me by offering suggestions of how I could make this work without ruining the end product.

I am quite happy with how it turned out. In fact, I wish that I would have done it sooner!

2 comments:

  1. See...told you it work out. I knew you would figure out how to make this work.

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great skirt!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete