Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Invitations

My baby is growing up. I realized recently that the invitations for his party must go out this month. How can that be?!?!? Wasn't it only yesterday, we were telling his sister about his impending arrival, sharing with her the fact that she would be a big sister? Wasn't it only yesterday that we looked at the monitor and discovered that we were to be the parents of a little boy? Wasn't it just yesterday that we headed to the hospital full of fearfully excited anticipation? Wasn't it just yesterday that my dear friend drove all that way in the middle of the night to assist in the delivery of her future godson? Wasn't it just yesterday that he greeted the world with the loudest scream our ears could have possibly imagined? Wasn't it just yesterday that I held him in my arms for the first time, inhaling the beautiful smell of his fresh skin? Wasn't it just yesterday that I realized that my heart could expand to share the love I have for his sister to include him without taking any love away from her? Wasn't it just yesterday we celebrated his birth?

How on earth can I be preparing for his 1st birthday when it seems that he was born just yesterday?!?!?

I tried to swallow my shock and got to work on a template for his invitation. I learned, through trial and error, how to make a pop-up ball at the top of the invite. Pretty simple really, but I sure do like the effect....especially since we are going with a ball- themed party. The boy LOVES balls!

I also tried to make a reservation today for a picnic shelter for his party. I learned today that the world does not revolve around my children's birthdays. (Ya, I knew it already but it was confirmed today.) I also realized that my son's birthday falls right during high school graduations. That means competition for those shelter reservations. I hadn't thought of that. So, our only option for picnic shelter is the one farthest from the playground. The birthday boy won't mind that but his sister certainly will. So, no reservations were made. I'm going to give myself a few days to come up with a workable plan B.

I think my delay in making a decision is my subconscious way of trying to put off the impending birthday. I just cannot accept that my baby is going to be one year old...unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment